Syllabi

Maui Waena Intermediate School

Media

Mrs. Jennifer Suzuki

(W)727-4200 , (H) 385-2942

Email—Personal-mwis.suzuki@gmail.com

Work-jsuzuki@mwis.k12.hi.us

Websites:

http://mediamwis.edublogs.org/ (class website)

mwisstem.com (STEM program at MWIS)

Welcome to a place where creativity and technology merge!

Course Description and Goals:

This year we will focus on improving our communication skills, thinking skills, and our understanding of what it means to be a member of and contributor to the digital community.  We will practice planning, creating, shooting, and editing logical, meaningful stories both in print and video. Our journey to becoming more effective communicators will begin by learning the basics of visual communication and then continue with its application in both print and video medium.

Student Supplies:

HIGHLY Recommended items

• Earphones
  • 8 GB (or greater) SD card (class 10)

Primary Standard: Standard 1: TECHNOLOGICAL DESIGN: Design, modify, and apply technology to effectively and efficiently solve problems.  Students will also be focusing on their General Learner Outcomes (refer to planner).

Behavioral Expectations:  All of Maui Waena follows the Positive Behavior Support Program (PBS-explained in the planner). We will work as a class to come up with specific expectations so that we can reach our goal of becoming better communicators, complex thinkers, and effective users of technology (GLO’s). I do not foresee behavior problems but if they do occur, they will be handled according to school policy

Projects:  The entire curriculum of the course is based on projects.  We are going to be producing meaningful pieces of work that will be seen by broad audiences. The projects will be explained below:

gmail Account:  Much of the collaboration between students will be done utilizing google drive (formerly google docs). In order for students to access google drive, each student must have a gmail address.  It would be wonderful if the student could make the account at home with a parent’s assistance. The format of the email address should be firstname.lastname@gmail.com. If that is not possible, we will be able to make the account here at school.  Please be confident that this email account will be used for academic purposes.

Web Site Creation:  Each student will be creating his or her own website which will be used as a digital portfolio.

PSA/Commercial/Video Projects:  All of the projects students work on will be submitted to state and national contests or viewed on either PBS (Hiki No) or OC 16 (Reel Stories). There are REAL deadlines associated with these projects and completion of GREAT work is expected.

Please check the class blog/website for updates on deadlines and contest information. 

My Blog:  A blog is a website that is interactive. I will be able to post daily lessons, project outlines, and upcoming events, and students and parents can respond directly on the site.  It is available to anyone who visits the site, does not require a password to visit, but it is not available to public listings, such as google.  On my blog page you will read highlights about our classroom, homework information, and student samples of work.  In a sense, it is a digital newsletter and is my way of communicating with parents and students, especially if you have questions or your child has been absent and needs to find out what she or he missed.  I would like to include pictures of our students and classroom.  However, if you prefer that your child and his/her work be excluded from the page, please let me know by checking the appropriate consent below.  I will be updating my blog every week, so please check it out, bookmark it, and feel free to comment at

http://mediamwis.edublogs.org/

Homework Policy:  As most of our projects are done using technology and programs that are not readily available to students, there will be very little homework.  Students may want to stay after school, come in at lunch, or recess to complete projects.  I am available after school everyday except Wednesday for student help.

Evaluation and Grading:  Class will be run like a business.  In order for a project to be accepted it needs to be high quality work as our audience (the public and judges at various competitions) will be expecting us to work to high standards, so all work will meet the acceptable, or C, rating

Grades will be calculated by student self-evaluation and will be assessed 2 times a quarter in a meeting with the teacher.  Each student will meet with the teacher mid quarter and quarter end and justify their grade based on the work they have produced.  All work will be kept on their individual website which they are welcome to share with parents at anytime.  Your student should know their grade at anytime based on their assessment of the work they produced.  Each individual assignment has a checklist or rubric that can be found on the class website:  mediamwis.edublogs.org.  If you have questions about the grading policy, feel free to contact me.

Mahalo,

Jennifer Suzuki

“If you believe in something, the question is not will you do it, but HOW will you do it?”

Please fill in the below form by Friday, September 1, 2017. 

Please fill out the form below as acknowledgement that you read this syllabus.